Thursday, April 2, 2009

Loyalty: A Two Way Street

On Wednesday night I figured that Gonzaga’s Head Coach Mark Few would be the next head coach at Arizona. Around eleven that same night it was announced that Southern California coach Tim Floyd would be the replacement for Hall of Famer Lute Olson. On Thursday evening just when you thought it was a done deal, Floyd announced he would be staying a Trojan. In a article on ESPN, Floyd had this to say about staying at USC:

"But there is something really special about building your own traditions, your own histories and doing it with a group of guys that you love. ... I have never been more excited to be a Trojan."

"I have three years left on my contract," he said. "No, there have not been any changes made that I am aware of. I would like another year or two. I think that would be great. I would like for this to be my last job."

In a profession in which so many coaches are always looking for the next best thing, it is nice to see a coach’s loyalty to his player and a true love for the program that he has built up. A coach that I have had the great pleasure to work for always says, “loyalty is a two way street between a player and a coach.” In this situation it is nice to see the loyalty on the part of the coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment